This season, the Naples Museum of Art unveils the most important addition to its permanent collection since the museum opened in 2000: Louise Nevelson’s monumental Dawn’s Forest. Nevelson’s largest and most complex sculptural environment, Dawn’s Forest consists of a dozen separate sculptures, created in the mid-1980s and containing elements from previous sculptures dating to 1971. It is also Nevelson’s last major work.
Nevelson (1899-1988) was one of the most important and influential figures in postwar American art, and the most internationally celebrated woman artist of her time. Her work continues to inspire contemporary sculptors today and is represented in hundreds of museums and private collections around the world.
Commissioned and owned by Georgia-Pacific LLC, and MetLife at the Georgia-Pacific Center in Atlanta since the 1980s, Dawn’s Forest has never before been shown in a museum setting. The sculptural installation was gifted to the Naples Museum of Art in 2010 and moved to its new permanent home in the museum’s Figge Conservatory.
LOUISE NEVELSON: DAWN’S FOREST — November 14,2011-June 30, 2011